Calibre audio library
Calibre brings the pleasure of reading to people who have sight problems or who are print disabled through a free nationwide postal service of audio books.
Services for people with sight loss
For individual members Calibre offers:
- 8,500 unabridged audio books, fiction and non-fiction, including many titles which are not available commercially
- 1,400 titles in the Young Calibre collection for under 16s
- Books on MP3 format CDs, which can be played on a wide range of easily available players
- Books on USB memory stick
- The added option of books on cassette for people with sight problems
- There is a single administration fee of £35 (£20 for Young Calibre) to join the library
- Free postage and no fines for late or lost books.
Calibre has 19,000 members, more than half of whom are over 80. However the fastest growing section of the library is the Young Calibre service, with 1,200 members.
Support for libraries
Calibre offers the following support for libraries:
- A twice yearly newsletter for professionals - email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the mailing list
- Workshops on Calibre's services – email email@example.com for details
- Inter-library loans - books can be supplied via the inter library loans system under the Bee Aware scheme for people who would be eligible to receive Calibre’s services
- Support for reading groups - many of Calibre’s titles are available as sets for loan to reading groups for people with sight problems or dyslexia, for a modest subscription. The library currently has 56 active groups. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website for details